Subject: [Depfis] Curso del ICTP en Exactas

From: Silvina Ponce Dawson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 13:44:10 -0300 (ART)

________

Se adjunta anuncio del siguiente curso organizado por el Abdus Salam
International Centre for Theoretical Physics en nuestra Facultad.

Este curso es una oportunidad para estudiantes de doctorado y de los
últimos cursos de licenciatura que quieran abordar nuevas líneas de
investigación. La inscripcion en el ICTP es necesaria para una mejor
organizacion del curso.Es posible que presenten los antecedentes en
castellano y sin foto en la inscripción en el ICTP. El formulario esta
disponible en
ftp://ftp.cima.fcen.uba.ar/pub/carolina/ApplicationBuenosA.rtf

Se informa que tambien se tramitara ante la comision de Doctorado el
puntaje correspondiente.
____________________________________________________________
“Workshop on the Interdisciplinary Science of Climate Changes: Basic
Elements”
Organized by: The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical
Physics (ICTP)

12 March to 4 April 2007
Venue: Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Co-sponsored by: Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory/NOAA, NOAA
Climate Program Office, and Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales de
la Universidad de Buenos Aires

Directors: G. Philander, I. Orlanski, F. Giorgi.
Local Organizers: C. Vera, S. Solman

Introduction:
Initial studies of global warming dealt mainly with the atmosphere, but
today it is recognized that the climate system depends on interactions
between the Earth's atmosphere, oceans, land surface, ice sheets and
biosphere. Global warming will present different societal challenges in
different parts of the world. What policies should we adopt to cope with
global warming? How much confidence should we have in the scientific
results that describe various scenarios corresponding to the most likely
range of future conditions? Addressing these questions requires an
understanding of the methods scientists use to predict climate changes.
Of central importance is an integration of what, at present, are
separate branches of the earth sciences: meteorology, oceanography,
geology, biology, etc. This exciting development, known as Earth System
Science, facilitates the study of a variety of unexplored phenomena that
raises new issues.

Planning to face the threat of global warming requires detailed
predictions of climate changes in different parts of the world. This
will involve using an array of models, from the global to the regional
scale, to explore various scenarios of change, and associated
uncertainties. Indeed, there are many uncertainties in our estimates of
the future behavior of the climate system. These range from
uncertainties in our basic understanding of processes (e.g. clouds and
precipitation), to errors and limitations in the representation of such
processes in climate models. To address these issues, a series of
workshops on Climate Change will be presented on: biogeochemical cycles,
the hydrological cycle, the role of the oceans, land surface, and
cryosphere in the climate system, etc. This is the first workshop of the
series and will focus on the "Basic Elements of Climate Change". In
addition, there will be presentations on the “The Regional Impact of
Climate Change" by participating scientists and students.

Programme:
A series of lectures are scheduled for each of the following topics: •
Models for Climate Change - F. Giorgi
• The Chemistry of Greenhouse Gases - H. Levy
• Mechanisms for Climate Variability and Change - I. Orlanski
• The Role of the Oceans in Climate - G. Philander
• Radiation and Climate Change - V. Ramaswamy

Students will be encouraged to complete small projects and report on
them at the end of the workshop.

Participation:
The workshop is mainly intended for young researchers and PhD students
working in the areas of Physics, Chemistry, Atmospheric Physics and
Dynamics, Climatology and Oceanography, from countries in Africa and
South America that are members of the United Nations, UNESCO or IAEA.
The principal objective of the ICTP is to help researchers from
developing countries through a programme of training activities within a
framework of international cooperation. Participants should have an
adequate working knowledge of English. Due to budget limitations, every
effort should be made by candidates to secure either total or partial
support for their expenses. However, limited funds are available for
some participants who are nationals of, and working in, developing
countries, and who are not more than 45 years old. Participants are
required to take part in all aspects of this activity for its entire
duration. There is no registration fee.

The Application Form is available at: http://agenda.ictp.it/smr.php?1877

Applications should be sent via e-mail, fax or post, to arrive no later
than 30 November
2006, to:

Interdisciplinary Science of Climate Changes - smr1877 (c/o P. Malchose)
the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics
Strada Costiera 11, 34014 Trieste, Italy
Tel: +39 040 2240374
Fax: +39 040 2240449
[email-masked]
http://www.ictp.it/

-- 
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
  Carolina Vera
  CIMA/Depto. de Ciencias de la Atmosfera
  Pab.II 2 piso
  Ciudad Universitaria
  (1428)Buenos Aires
  Argentina

  e-mail: [email-masked]
  http://www.cima.fcen.uba.ar/~carolina/p-vera.htm
  Phone:(54-11) 4787-2693    Fax:(54-11) 4788-3572
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%