Subject: [Depfis] Les Houches school on 'QUANTUM MAGNETISM' (fwd)

From: Silvina Ponce Dawson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 09:48:19 -0300 (ART)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 19:04:24 -0800 (PST)
From: Igor Tupitsyn <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Pitp-cmt] Les Houches school on 'QUANTUM MAGNETISM'

Dear colleagues,

We would like to notify you of a very interesting summer school to
take place in Les Houches this coming June 2006, organised by the
Pacific Institute of Theoretical Physics. The webpage for this
school can be found at the site:

 http://pitp.physics.ubc.ca/upcoming/leshouches/

The theme of the school is 'Quantum Magnetism', and the main topics
to be covered by the lecturers will include microscopic theories of
magnetism and new quantum materials, exotic order in magnetic
systems (ranging from spin chains to ferromagnetic Hall systems),
disordered quantum magnets and quantum critical phenomena (including
quantum glass systems), spin systems in reduced dimensions and on
the nano- or mesoscopic scale, and large-scale quantum phenomena in
spin systems and related systems like superconductors and spin
superfluids (thus we also address quantum computation and
decoherence). More details on the courses and themes can be found on
the webpage given above (note that we will have one or two more
lecturers than those who have already committed to coming). The
lecturers are a mix of theory and experiment, and include many of
the best-known experts in condensed matter physics. Apart from the
courses in this school there will also be a limited number of
seminars, and those who are applying should let the organisers know
if they wish to give a seminar. The proceedings of this school will
be published. Any changes that are made to the programme will appear
immediately on the webpage.

Registration is now open for the school, and to apply one should
fill out the registration page (this is all that is needed). You
will receive an email confirmation of your registration- only if you
do not should you contact the organisers. There will be financial
assistance available for those attending the school, and applicants
should let the organisers know, when applying on the registration
page, what their needs may be. We expect to be able to cover a
considerable fraction of the costs of participants (particularly
students and postdocs). Please note that we expect a large demand
for places, and that participants should register as soon as
possible, if they wish to obtain a place. Please by all means
forward this message to those of your colleagues, postdocs, and
students who may be interested. We expect to close the registration
on 10th April, and will then notify those whom we are able to accept
by 20th April.

best wishes

 B Barbara
 Y Imry
 GA Sawatzky
 PCE Stamp          (organising committee)