Subject: [Depfis] Escuela de Física de la Heliosfera en Boulder, Julio de 2008

From: Sergio Dasso <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 10:13:05 -0300 (ART)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
STUDENT OPPORTUNITY: Heliphysics Summer School 2008
July 28 - August 2, 2008, Boulder, Colorado
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: George Sisco <siscoe at bu-ast2.bu.edu>

The second of a three-year NASA-sponsored Heliophysics Summer School will be
hosted by UCAR in Boulder, CO, 28 July through 2 August 2008. The summer
school is sponsored by NASA's Living With a Star (LWS) program. It has three
principal goals: 1) To deepen the appreciation of the basic science of
heliophysics for a select group of students as teachers take them through
highly interactive seminars and hands-on working groups and lab exercises, 2)
To analyze new measurements with the goal of identifying global processes and
drivers of the Sun-heliosphere system outward to the heliopause, and the
responses of planetary magnetospheres, ionospheres and atmospheres, and 3) To
produce a series of textbooks from which heliophysics may be taught at
universities worldwide. The three-year program comprises three thematic
clusters that together cover the scientific basis of the physical processes
that play a role in coupling the Sun's interior to the planetary environments
and atmospheres through the vast heliosphere.

The second 6-day summer school in 2008 will cover "explosive energy
conversions and energetic particles." The three-year "heliophysics school"
will encompass the entire scientific discipline now called heliophysics.

Approximately 30 students (including senior undergraduate students and
graduate students with a strong background in physics, and beginning postdocs
in a field of heliophysics) will be selected each year through a competitive
process to participate in the 2008 summer school. Each participant will
receive air travel, lodging and a per diem.

The UCAR Visiting Scientist Programs (VSP) office will administer the summer
school. The deadline for application submission by students will be announced
soon on the VSP website; late applications will be considered until all
available student positions are filled. Please see www.vsp.ucar.edu, call
303-497-8649 or email [email-masked] for updated information.

Application materials should include:
- A cover letter briefly stating motivation for application.
- Curriculum Vitae with a list of publications, technical reports and
   professional presentations.
- Names and addresses of three references (one must be advisor).
- Graduate school transcripts.
- One to two page statement of interest and relevance to summer school goals.

Send e-mail or electronic applications to: [email-masked].
If you are unable to submit electronically, please mail your application
materials to:

University Corporation for Atmospheric Research
Visiting Scientist Programs, Heliophysics Summer School
P.O. Box 3000
Boulder, CO 80307-3000 USA

---------------------------------------------------------------------------