Subject: [Depfis] 1st LA PLATA INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL ON ASTRONOMY AND GEOPHYSICS (fwd)

From: silvina <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 09:53:50 -0300 (ART)

1st LA PLATA INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL ON ASTRONOMY AND GEOPHYSICS

                 COMPACT OBJECTS AND THEIR EMISSION

           Facultad de Ciencias Astronómicas y Geofísicas
                      La Plata, Argentina
                       March 10-14, 2008

The Facultad de Ciencias Astronómicas y Geofísicas (UNLP) will start a series
of international schools on topics of current interest in Astronomy and
Geophysics. These schools will be primary aimed at introducing advanced
undergraduate and postgraduate students as well as young researchers to very
challenging issues in contemporary research. The faculty of each school will be
formed by highly recognised researchers in the field. Students will have
frequent opportunities to interact with the Professors and there will be time
allocated to students' presentations.

The first school of the series will be devoted to "Compact Objects and their
Emission". Objects like white dwarfs, neutron stars and black holes give rise
to a varied and rich phenomenology that ranges from the X-ray emission in
compact binaries to the complexities of the spectral energy distributions of
microquasars, AGNs and gamma-ray bursts. The courses and lectures of the school
will provide a comprehensive introduction to all these phenomena and to the
latest developments in this fast-evolving field. The official language of the
School is English.

VENUE

The Astronomical Observatory of La Plata (http://www.fcaglp.unlp.edu.ar/)
is one of the oldest and more prestigious astronomical institutions in Latin
America. It was founded with La Plata City in 1882, and since then has
harboured a venerable tradition in research and teaching. It is located in a
green area of the city. La Plata, Capital of the Province of Buenos Aires, is
located 60 km to the south of Buenos Aires, with an easy access by highway. The
Universidad Nacional de Plata is the second largest university in Argentina and
one of the most important universities in South America.

FACULTY

The faculty of the school will be formed by the following Professors:

Felix A. Aharonian (DIAS - Dublin / MPIfK - Heidelberg)
Leandro G. Althaus (FCAG - La Plata)
Sergio A. Cellone (FCAG - La Plata)
Chuck D. Dermer (NRL - Washington)
Daniel O. Gómez (UBA - Buenos Aires)
I. Félix Mirabel (ESO - Santiago)
Josep Mar¡a Paredes (UB - Barcelona)
Gustavo E. Romero (IAR - Villa Elisa / FCAG - La Plata)
Héctor Vucetich (FCAG - La Plata)

Dean of the School: Gustavo E. Romero (IAR - Villa Elisa / FCAG - La Plata)

PROGRAM

The topics covered by the courses and lectures will include

White Dwarfs (Althaus)
Neutron Stars (Vucetich)
Black Hole Physics (Romero)
High-Energy Emission from Relativistic Outflows (Aharonian)
Black Holes in the Galaxy (Paredes)
Accretion Power in Compact Objects (Gómez)
Microquasars (Mirabel)
AGNs (Cellone)
Gamma-Ray Bursts (Dermer)

There will be individual lectures of 50 minutes plus questions, short courses
of two lectures, and courses of four lectures. The lectures will start in the
morning, at 9 am. There will be coffee breaks and a lunch break with aboundant
time for discussions with the Professors. Students are encouraged to present
contributions related to their own research either in the form of short oral
presentations (10 minutes plus questions) or posters.

REGISTRATION

The school will be limited to 60 people. This limit is imposed by the capacity
of the conference room. Priority will be given to participants working in the
field and to those presenting a contribution. There will be a registration fee
of US $50, which includes the cost of a book with the lectures that will be
published by the Argentine Astronomical Society (AAA).

In order to register, candidates should send an email before November 15th to
[email-masked] with the following information:

Name
Affilliation
PhD Supervisor name and affilliation (if applicable)
Intended contribution: Oral - Poster - None
Title and abstract of contribution (if applicable)

In the case of undergraduate students a recommendation letter (by email) from
the supervisor or a professor is required.

FINANCIAL SUPPORT

Some limited support will be available for local expenses (travel excluded).
Students that want to apply should indicate their requirements in a letter
addressed to the Dean of the School (to be send to
[email-masked]).

ACCOMMODATION

Different options for accommodation are given in the web page of the School
(http://school2008.fcaglp.unlp.edu.ar/).

LOCAL ORGANIZING COMMITTEE

Ileana Andruchow
Anabella T. Araudo
Paula Benaglia (Chair)
Pablo M. Cincotta
Mariana Orellana
Gustavo E. Romero
Gabriela S. Vila

AUSPICES

This event is under the auspices of Facultad de Ciencias Astronómicas y
Geofísicas, UNLP, and the Asociación Argentina de Astronomía.

----- End forwarded message -----

-- 
Juan Pablo Paz
Associate Professor
Department of Physics
FCEyN, UBA
Pabellon 1, Ciudad Universitaria
1428 Buenos Aires, Argentina

Phone: 54-11-45763353
Fax:   54-11-45763357
web:   http://www.df.uba.ar/users/paz
email: [email-masked]