Subject: [Depfis] PPARC International Summer School in particle Physics and Astronomy (fwd)

From: Cristina Mandrini <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 09:38:48 -0300 (ART)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 10:48:58 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)
From: Robert von Fay-Siebenburgen <[email-masked]>
To: Robert von Fay-Siebenburgen <[email-masked]>
Subject: PPARC International Summer School in particle Physics and Astronomy

Dear Colleague,

Please find below an advert about a Summer School we organise and host at
Sheffield University for (INTER)NATIONAL UNDERGRADUATE students with 
serious interest in astronomy and/or particle physics.

The School is one month long and will fully finance all selected
participants. We aim, in particular, at 50% of students from developing
countries or from countries w. financial disadvantages.

We'd be most grateful if you'd further publicise this Summer School among
your students and colleagues. Please feel free to forward this email.

Attached is also a poster in pdf ready to print. We would greatly 
appreciate if you would put copies on message boards frequently visited by
undergraduates.

Thank you in advance. Best wishes,
Robertus

**************************************************************************
*Professor Robert (Erdelyi) von Fay-Siebenburgen Tel: +44-(0)114-2223832 *
*Head of SP^2RC                                  Fax: +44-(0)114-2223739 *
*Solar Physics & Space Plasma Research Centre                            *
*Department of Applied Mathematics                                       *
*University of Sheffield                                                 *
*Hicks Building, Hounsfield Road         Email: [email-masked] *
*Sheffield, S3 7RH, England (UK)  Web: http://robertus.staff.shef.ac.uk/ *
**************************************************************************

From: robertus [at] sheffield.ac.uk

PPARC IUSS 2007 1st announcement

Particle Physics and Astronomy International Undergraduate
Summer School (IUSS), 17 June - 13 July 2007, Sheffield

Organisation
The next Particle Physics and Astronomy International Undergraduate
Summer School (IUSS) supported by the Particle Physics and Astronomy
Research Council (PPARC) of the United Kingdom is hosted at The University
of Sheffield in collaboration between three departments: the Department
of Applied Mathematics (AM) with expertise in solar, solar-terrestrial
and space physics and cosmology; the Department of Automatic Control
and Systems Engineering (ACSE) with research experience in
magnetospheric physics, advanced analysis technique, and scientific
spacecraft instrumentation; and the Department of Physics and Astronomy
(PA) covering particle physics, astronomy and astrophysics.

Aims of the School
The IUSS, in form of a four-week intensive course, is aimed at bright
and motivated undergraduate students from around the world who are
seriously considering a research career in the areas of astronomy and
particle physics in PPARC's remit. It will be expected that the selected
participating undergraduate students for the course shall have at least
two years studies completed in appropriate subjects and to be at least
a year from receiving their undergraduate degrees. It is highly probable
for such students that a decision is not yet taken for a post-graduate
career choice.

The Summer School will be designed to give students a taste of the
exciting, world leading research programmes undertaken in the UK and
place them in the context of global research activity within the remits
of PPARC science. The attendees will experience the flavour of life as
a scientist that will inspire them to continue their studies at an
advanced level.

The course will be broadly split into three sections as follows:

Lectures
A series of lectures will introduce students to the subjects of astronomy,
astrophysics, space physics, particle physics and cosmology, providing
them with a broad overview of these exciting areas of modern physics.
This will be followed by a series of specific lectures providing a greater
insight into the areas of active PPARC research. The subjects to be
covered are as follows:

Particle Physics - Introduction to the Standard Model (quarks, leptons,
forces); QCD; Experimental Particle Physics (colliders and detection
systems) and data analysis techniques (event identification);
Astro-Particle Physics (early universe, gamma rays, neutrinos); and,
Beyond the Standard Model.

Astronomy - The Universe at Different Wavelengths; High Redshift Universe
(galaxy formation, galaxy structure) Local Universe; Star and Planetary
Formation; Observing and Detection Instrumentation (covering from X-ray
to radio telescopes, detectors for active optics, imaging, and
spectroscopes); Data Analysis Techniques, Dark Matter and Energy.

Space physics - The Solar System; Planetary Magnetospheres; The Sun;
Space Weather; Relationship with Astrophysical Objects; Space
Instrumentation; and, Data Analysis Techniques.

Research Project
As part of the course, each student will undertake a small individual
research project. This will provide the students with hands-on experience
of obtaining, analyzing and presenting data to a wider audience. The
topics of the research project will be linked to the lectures and will
at the same time be complementary. Supervision will be offered by
academic staff, postdoctoral research fellows and postgraduate
research students.

Site Visits
The benefits of organising visits to scientific research establishments
can be immense. Suitable visits will be organised free of charge to ESA
ESTEC (European Space Research and Technology Centre, The Netherlands),
Jodrell Bank Observatory, and to the Royal Observatory Greenwich.

More information is available at

http://robertus.staff.shef.ac.uk/iuss/

or contact

Professor Robert von Fay-Siebeburgen, School Director

The University of Sheffield
Dept. of Applied Mathematics
Hicks Building, Hounsfield Road
Sheffield S3 7RH
England, UK
Tel: +44-(0)114-2223832
Fax: +44-(0)114-2223739
Robertus [at] sheffield.ac.uk