Subject: [Depfis] First Announcement IV QGSC

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 14:03:26 -0300 (ART)

Quantum Gravity in the Southern Cone IV
Punta del Este (URUGUAY)
22-25 October, 2007
The fourth meeting in the series "Quantum Gravity in the Southern Cone"
will  be held at Punta del Este, Uruguay. Previous meetings in the series
took  place in Valdivia, Chile in 2002, Bariloche, Argentina in 1998 and
Punta del  Este, Uruguay in 1996. The purpose of the meeting is to bring
together world  specialists on quantum gravity, geometry and field theory
with scientists  and students from the southern region of Latin America.

There will be a series of invited lectures and also some shorter
communications and posters by registered participants, with ample time for
 discussions. The invited speakers are:

Abhay Ashtekar (PennState),
David Berenstein (UC Santa Barbara),
Martin Bojowald (PennState),
Laurent Freidel (Perimeter Institute),
Juan Maldacena (IAS Princeton),
David Mattingly (UC Davis),
Hermann Nicolai (Albert Einstein Institute),
Rafael Porto (Carnegie Mellon),
Lee Smolin (Perimeter Institute),
Marcus Spradlin (Brown),
Andrew Strominger (Harvard).

All invited speakers have confirmed their participation.

There is no conference fee. Furthermore, there is financial aid available
to  help cover local expenses of a limited number of student participants.

The deadline for registration is August 15, 2007. If you wish to to be 
considered for financial support (about $50/day, for students only) you
must  register by August 1, 2007.

The conference will be held at the  Jean Clevers Parque Hotel.
Accommodation for conference participants (and companions) at the hotel
can  be reserved via the conference registration form at a substantially 
discounted price.

International Organizing Committee: Rodolfo Gambini (Montevideo), Carmen 
Núñez (Buenos Aires), Jorge Pullin (Louisiana State), Victor Rivelles (Sao
 Paulo), Jorge Zanelli (Valdivia).

Local organizers: Rodolfo Gambini (Chair), Pablo Mora, Michael
Reisenberger,  Sebastian Torterolo, Miguel Campiglia, Gonzalo Aniano,
Marcelo Ponce.

Web page:  http://qgsciv.fisica.edu.uy.

The meeting is sponsored by the Universidad de la República (Uruguay), the
 National Science Foundation (US), the Albert Einstein Institute
(Germany),  the Perimeter Institute (Canada), the Hearne Institute (US),
the
International Center for Theoretical Physics Trieste (Italy), and the
Latin  American Center for Physics.