Subject: [Depfis] announcements: ICTP-SAIFR activities

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 12:32:15 -0300

ICTP-SAIFR South American Workshop on the Foundations of Quantum Theory and
Cosmology

Start time: November 3, 2014
Ends on: November 7, 2014
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Venue: IFT-UNESP

Organizers:

    Mario Castagnino (University of Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina)
    Susana Landau (University of Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina)
    George E. A. Matsas (IFT-UNESP, São Paulo, Brazil)
    Nelson Pinto Neto (Centro Brasilero de Pesquisas Fisicas, Rio de
Janeiro, Brazil)
    Daniel Sudarsky (National Autonomous University of Mexico, Mexico D.F.
Mexico)
    Hector Vucetich (University of La Plata, La Plata, Argentina)

Confirmed Speakers:

    David Albert (Department of Philosophy, Columbia University)
    George Ellis (Department of Mathematics, University of Cape Town)
    Rodolfo Gambini (Universidad de la Republica, Uruguay)
    Adrian Kent (DAMTP, University of Cambridge)
    Olimpia Lombardi (University of Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina)
    Elias Okon (National Autonomous University of Mexico, Mexico D.F.,
Mexico)
    Nelson Pinto Neto (Centro Brasileiro de Pesquisas Físicas, Rio de
Janeiro, Brazil)
    Antony Valentini  (Clemson University, USA)

Description:

The objective of this workshop is to bring together researchers working in
the application of quantum theory to cosmology, and those working on
foundational aspects of quantum theory. These two fields have a very
important intersection, exemplified by the fact that many approaches that
have been developed to deal with the conceptual difficulties, particularly
with the so called “measurement problem” in quantum  mechanics, become
almost untenable in their application to cosmology. On the other hand, the
views about the nature of quantum theory that are most popular amongst
researchers working in modern cosmology are being critically scrutinized
within the foundational community.

This situation indicates that there is a very large potential for fruitful
exchange and cross-fertilization of ideas among these two communities,
which have not in the past had a strong  interaction. The workshop will be
organized with emphasis on promoting interaction and discussion. There will
be a small number of formal presentations and a series of long discussion
sessions with specific focus topics.

More information and online application form at:
http://www.ictp-saifr.org/fqtc <http://www.ictp-saifr.org/mathbio4>

Application deadline: September 22, 2014

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ICTP-Trieste/ICTP-SAIFR School and Workshop on Observational Cosmology

Start time: December 1, 2014
Ends on: December 12, 2014
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Venue: IFT-UNESP

Description:

Cosmology has entered a precision era driven by numerous experiments. Large
scale surveys of structures such as the Sloan Digital Sky Survey and the
Dark Energy Survey, together with  experiments designed to carefully
measure the cosmic microwave background, such as the Planck satellite and
BICEP2, continue to explore and reveal vital information about our universe.

This School will provide students with the necessary tools to use this
multifold of data to test different cosmological models and determine their
parameters. Pedagogical lectures providing the necessary theoretical
background will be followed by hands-on lectures focusing on the different
cosmological probes that are currently used. On the weekend between the two
weeks of the school, from December 7 to 8, there will be a Workshop where
recent work in this field will be presented.

The event is intended for advanced graduate students and researchers. There
is no registration fee and limited funds are available for travel and local
expenses.

Organizers:

Raul Abramo (IF-USP), Paolo Creminelli (ICTP-Trieste), Alessandro
Melchiorri (Roma), Rogerio Rosenfeld (ICTP-SAIFR & IFT), Ravi Sheth
(ICTP-Trieste & U. of Pennsylvania)

Lecturers:

    Philippe Brax (Saclay)
    Paolo Creminelli (ICTP-Trieste)
    Scott Dodelson (Fermilab & U. of Chicago)
    Alessandro Melchiorri (Roma)
    Anais Rassat (EPFL-Lausanne)
    Ravi Sheth (ICTP-Trieste & U. of Pennsylvania)
    Risa Wechsler (Stanford, TBC)
    Joe Zuntz (U. of Manchester)

More information and online application form at:
http://www.ictp-saifr.org/observational <http://www.ictp-saifr.org/mathbio4>

Application deadline: October 6, 2014