Subject: [Depfis] charla especial

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 16:28:29 -0300

Hola,
los invito a la siguiente charla, que puede ser de interes para algunos
de ustedes. Saludos,
Juan Pablo

JUEVES 6 DE NOVIEMBRE
11HS, AULA FEDERMAN,
PRIMER PISO, PABELLON 1

Discrete quantum trajectories and Brownian motion experiments
Janet Anders
Department of Physics, University of Exeter, UK

Abstract: In the first part of the talk I will review how work and  
heat are characterised in classical statistical processes. I will then  
explain the issues involved in extending these concepts to the quantum  
regime and describe our approach of discrete quantum trajectories [1].  
In the second part of the talk I will report on our theory-experiment  
research with heated optically trapped nanospheres in a dilute gas  
[2]. By developing a new theoretical model that captures the  
non-equilibrium situation of the particles we were able to measure the  
surface temperature of the trapped spheres and observe temperature  
gradients on the nanoscale.
[1] Thermodynamics of discrete quantum processes,  J. Anders, V.  
Giovannetti, New Journal of Physics 15 033022 (2013).
[2] Nanoscale temperature measurements using non-equilibrium Brownian  
dynamics of a levitated nanosphere, J. Millen, T. Deesuwan, P. Barker,  
J. Anders, Nature Nanotechnology 82 (2014).

Dr Juan Pablo Paz
Profesor Titular UBA, Investigador Superior CONICET
Departamento de Fisica & Instituto de Fisica de Buenos Aires
FCEyN UBA, Pabellon 1, Ciudad Universitaria
1428 Buenos Aires, Argentina
Email: [email-masked]
Phone: +54-11-45763353
http://www.df.uba.ar/users/paz
http://www.qufiba.df.uba.ar