Subject: [Depfis] PhD Student Position in Space Plasma at CNRS, Orléans, France

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 10:45:02 -0300

*JOB OPENING: PhD Student Position in Space Plasma at CNRS, Orléans,
France *

A PhD position in space plasma has become available at CNRS, Laboratoire
de Physique et de Chimie de l'Environnement et de l'Espace (LPC2E,
http://lpce.cnrs-orleans.fr), Orléans, France, at the frontier between
plasma physics and planetology, in the context of the ESA Rosetta mission.
Rosetta is an exploratory space mission of the European Space Agency
(ESA) that arrived in the vicinity of its target comet
67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko in summer 2014. It is the first mission
designed to orbit and escort a comet, until autumn 2016. On board the
Rosetta orbiter, the Rosetta Plasma Consortium is a suit of plasma
sensors designed to monitor in situ the ionised environment of the
comet. Among them, the Mutual Impedance Probe (RPC-MIP), under the
technical and scientific responsibility of LPC2E, is designed to measure
the electron density, as well as the electric activity in the cometary
environment.

The Ph.D. research will focus on
(i) the theoretical and numerical modelling of mutual impedance
experiments (plasma physics: response of a plasma to an oscillating
charge) and
(ii) the interpretation of the experimental data of RPC-MIP, in
interaction with scientists working with the other plasma experiments of
the Rosetta Plasma Consortium. in particular the structure, dynamics and
the evolution of the ionised environment of a comet, as well as its
interaction with the Sun, in the context of the ROSETTA mission
(planetology).
The Ph.D. research will enable to prepare the analysis of similar mutual
impedance experiments onboard the future space missions BepiColombo
(ESA/JAXA) and JUICE (ESA).

Candidates are required to have a Master's degree in Physics or an
equivalent degree. A specialisation in astrophysics or plasma physics
may be helpful but is not a requirement. Good communication skills in
written and spoken English are required.
The position is opened until filled. Applications should be sent to
[email-masked][1] and should include:
1. a cover letter summarizing your qualifications, your scientific
interests, and your motivation for applying,
2. a curriculum vita (CV),
3. copies of degree certificates,
4. a list of MSc courses with grades,
5. names and contact information of 3 references.

The student will be employed for 3 years at Université d'Orléans and
work at LPC2E on the CNRS campus (Orléans, France), supervised by Dr. P.
Henri (MIP P.I.) and Prof. Orélien Randriamboarison (MIP Co.I.). Orléans
is located 1 hour south of Paris, in the heart of the Loire Valley.

The monthy net salary is 1367 euros (about 1684 euros monthly gross
salary) without teaching activity, or 1643 euros (about 2024 euros
monthly gross salary) when combining a teaching activity to the research
activity.
For more information, please contact Dr. Henri
([email-masked],
http://lpc2e.cnrs-orleans.fr/www_labo/labo_annuaire.php).

--
======================================
Pierre HENRI
LPC2E - CNRS
3A avenue de la Recherche Scientifique
45071 Orléans Cedex 2 - FRANCE

Tel. +33 (0)2 38 25 52 42
Fax  +33 (0)2 38 63 12 34
======================================

Vínculos:
---------
[1]  
https://mail.df.uba.ar/imp/message-dimp.php?ajaxui=1&mailbox=SU5CT1g&uid=44282&uniq=1447335701239#