Subject: [Depfis] Cambios: Ciclo de Charlas sobre Fundamentos de la Física y de la Computación

From: "Sebastian \"el fune\" Fortin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 19:09:30 -0300

Lamentablemente hoy nos informaron que por problemas personales Robert
Spekkens no podrá venir a Buenos Aires en el día de mañana. Por este motivo
pedimos disculpas e informamos el nuevo cronograma.

Ciclo de Charlas sobre Fundamentos de la Física y de la Computación.
Organizado por el Grupo de Filosofía de la Ciencia dirigido por la Dra.
Olimpia Lombardi.

Lunes 18 de Mayo 15 hs: *Adan Cabello*, Universidad de Sevilla, “Quantum
contextuality: Theory, experiments, applications and implications”.

Martes 19 de Mayo 16 hs: *Armond Duwell*, University of Montana,
“Desiderata for an analysis of computation”.

Las charlas se realizaran en el Pabellón II de la FCEN, Planta Baja. Aula
de seminario. 18 y 19 de Mayo de 2015. A continuación se pueden encontrar
los abstracts.

Lunes 18 de Mayo 15 hs. Adan Cabello, Universidad de Sevilla

“Quantum contextuality: Theory, experiments, applications and implications”.

In quantum theory, marginal probabilities are "non-contextual", that is,
independent of the set of compatible observables they are extracted from.
However, quantum probabilities cannot be explained assuming that
measurements reveal pre-existent non-contextual information. This is what
we call "contextuality". It can be quantified by the violation of
experimentally testable inequalities, similar to Bell inequalities,
involving correlations between the results of compatible measurements.
Quantum theory violates these inequalities only up to some specific limits
which, quite surprisingly, are connected to graph theory. We will discuss
how this connection may explain these limits and shed some light on what
does quantum theory really mean.

Martes 19 de Mayo 16 hs. Armond Duwell, University of Montana

“Desiderata for an analysis of computation”

An analysis of computation tells us what systems are computational systems
and what systems are not. Despite the ubiquity of computers, there is no
widely agreed upon analysis. In this talk, I'll discuss the problem of
providing an analysis of computation, discuss the desiderata for an
analysis of computation, and discuss some candidate analyses and their
shortcomings.

Saludos, sebi