Subject: [Depfis] PROXIMO COLOQUIO CIENTIFICO IAFE : VIERNES 3/11

From: "Andrea P. Buccino" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 09:30:50 -0300

---------------------------- Original Message ----------------------------
Subject: [Listaiafe] PROXIMO COLOQUIO CIENTIFICO : VIERNES 3/11
From:    "Rodrigo F. DÃ­az" <[email-masked]>
Date:    Wed, November 1, 2017 9:24 am
To:      [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

COLOQUIOS CIENTIFICOS EN EL IAFE
â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”

"Do metal-poor stars have less low-mass planets?"
JoÃ£o Faria
Instituto de AstrofÃ­sica e CiÃªncias do EspaÃ§o / Universidade do Porto,
Portugal

Viernes 3 de noviembre, 14:00 hs.
Aula del IAFE

Stellar metallicity and planet formation are intimately linked. According
to the core accretion planet formation model, low-mass planets are
expected to orbit stars with a wide range of metallicities, while giant
planets should be more common around metal-rich stars. But the existence
of a planet-metallicity relation for the low-mass planets is not yet fully
confirmed or quantified observationally. To address this problem, we have
been using HARPS radial-velocity observations to study a sample of
metal-poor stars. Our goal is to detect low-mass planets, with masses
close to that of the Earth and Neptune, and to estimate their frequency
around low-metallicity stars. I will present the latest results of this
decade-long search, explain some of the difficulties that stellar activity
poses on planet detection, and describe a new algorithm being developed to
help with planet detection in radial-velocity
data._______________________________________________

Disclaimer
----------

Las opiniones vertidas en este correo son de responsabilidad exclusiva de
su remitente.

Listaiafe mailing list
[email-masked]
http://smtp.iafe.uba.ar/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/listaiafe

==================================================
Andrea Paola Buccino
URL (Home Page): http://cms.iafe.uba.ar/abuccino
e-mail: [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------
Instituto de Astronomía y Física del Espacio (IAFE)
Phone: (+54)-11-5285-7827
Fax: (+54)-11-4786-8114
CC 67 Suc. 28, 1428 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
---------------------------------------------------