Subject: [Depfis] [IAFE 12/05] CICLO "ESPACIO JOVEN" 2017

From: [Difusión Departamento de Física (Exactas-UBA)]<[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 10:55:41 -0300 (-03)

Retransmitimos INFO suministrada por el IAFE:

--------------------------------------------------

             CICLO "ESPACIO JOVEN" 2017
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Este ciclo de carácter informal , es dado por tesistas de doctorado y
posdoctorado del Instituto, que contarán cual es su tema de estudio y cómo
es su trabajo cotidiano

"Gamma rays from blazars and their journey through the intergalactic 
medium"
Lic. Mateo Fernandez Alonso
Viernes 12 de Mayo, 14 hs
Aula del Edificio IAFE
(la charla se dará en castellano)

Very high energy (VHE >100 GeV) gamma rays coming from blazars can produce
pairs when interacting with the Extragalactic Background Light (EBL) and
the Cosmic Microwave Background, generating an electromagnetic cascade.
Depending on the Intergalactic Magnetic Field (IGMF) intensity, this
cascade may result in an extended isotropic emission of photons around the
source (halo), or in a broadening of the emission beam. The detection of
these effects might lead to important constrains both on the IGMF
intensity and the EBL density, quantities of great relevance in
cosmological models.
My work involves developing tools and methods to try to detect extended
emission within the gamma radiation coming from distant blazars, and also
using simulations to test how the next generation of instruments could
improve our chances of detecting these effects in the near future.

Los esperamos con algo rico!

Area difusion IAFE
--------------------------------------------------------------

Saludos cordiales.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Área de Difusión DF, FCEN, UBA.
Coordinación: Guillermo Mattei.