Subject: [Depfis] Fwd: Job openings in Space Physics Group at the Department of Physics, University of Helsinki, Finland

From: Sergio Dasso DF <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 18:43:48 -0300

FYI

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Job openings in Space Physics Group at the Department of
Physics, University of Helsinki, Finland
Date: 	Wed, 23 Aug 2017 12:14:10 +0000
From: 	Kilpua, Emilia K J <[email-masked]>
To: 	Kilpua, Emilia K J <[email-masked]>

Dear colleague,

Space Physics team at the University of Helsinki has several open PhD
and post-doc positions. We would be very grateful if you could spread
the word. The official announcement is below.

greetings,

Emilia

JOB OPENING: Six (6) Postdoctoral and PhD Student Positions in Space
Physics Group at the Department of Physics, University of Helsinki, Finland

The Space Physics Group at the Department of Physics
(http://blogs.helsinki.fi/spacephysics/) is a leading European space
physics group specialised both in observations and modelling of space
plasmas. For example, we develop the novel global hybrid-Vlasov
simulation Vlasiator and have a strong focus on solar eruptions. Our
current research areas include physics of coronal mass ejections, their
influence in the magnetospheric dynamics, as well as reconnection,
shocks and particle acceleration.

We have recently obtained several new research grants, including a
Finnish Centre of Excellence (2018 - 2025), two European Research
Council grants (2016 - 2021, 2017 - 2022), and two Academy of Finland
grants (2018 - 2022).

We are now opening six positions, of which four are postdoctoral
positions, and two are for PhD students. We are especially looking for
expertise in modelling of the solar corona, experimental solar wind
research, observations and modelling of the inner magnetospheric waves
and wave-particle interactions.

Strong expertise in space plasma physics is required. Other useful
skills include: Python, C/C++, supercomputer environments, experimental
data analysis techniques. Previous knowledge of cubesat projects is also
considered an advantage.

We offer a position in a dynamic and international research group, with
a possibility to network and to develop as a researcher. As our the
Centre of Excellence builds and launches cubesats establishing new
technologies with cutting edge scientific payloads, our community
extends from space physics to space technology and entrepreneurial startups.

The positions are available from 1 Jan 2018, initially for one year with
a possibility to extend. The positions are open until they are filled.

For specifics about the position, contact Professor Minna Palmroth
(minna.palmroth ‘at’ helsinki.fi) and Assistant Professor Emilia Kilpua
(emilia.kilpua ‘at’ helsinki.fi). Interested candidates should send
their informal application, CV, list of publications, and maximum of
three names to act as references to the above addresses.