Subject: [Depfis] Recordatorio. HOY: PROXIMO COLOQUIO CIENTIFICO IAFE

From: "Andrea P. Buccino" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2017 10:25:11 -0300

---------------------------- Original Message ----------------------------
Subject: [Listaiafe] Recordatorio. HOY: PROXIMO COLOQUIO CIENTIFICO
From:    Rodrigo F. Díaz <[email-masked]>
Date:    Fri, November 3, 2017 7:22 am
To:      [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

<div dir='auto'><div><div class="gmail_quote"><br
type="attribution"><blockquote class="quote" style="margin:0 0 0
.8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div
style="word-wrap:break-word">COLOQUIOS CIENTIFICOS EN EL
IAFE<br>â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”<div><div><br></div><div><span
style="font-size:13px"><b>"Do metal-poor stars have less low-mass
planets?"</b></span></div><div><div>JoÃ£o Faria&nbsp;</div><div>Instituto
de AstrofÃ­sica e CiÃªncias do EspaÃ§o / Universidade do Porto,
Portugal</div><div><br></div><div>Viernes 3 de noviembre, 14:00
hs.</div><div>Aula del IAFE</div></div><div><br></div><div>Stellar
metallicity and planet formation are intimately linked. According to the
core accretion planet formation model, low-mass planets are expected to
orbit stars with a wide range of metallicities, while giant planets should
be more common around metal-rich stars. But the existence of a
planet-metallicity relation for the low-mass planets is not yet fully
confirmed or quantified observationally.&nbsp;<span
style="font-size:13px">To address this problem, we have been using HARPS
radial-velocity observations to study a sample of metal-poor stars. Our
goal is to detect low-mass planets, with masses close to that of the Earth
and Neptune, and to estimate their frequency around low-metallicity stars.
I will present the latest results of this decade-long search, explain some
of the difficulties that stellar activity poses on planet detection, and
describe a new algorithm being&nbsp;</span>developed to<span
style="font-size:13px">&nbsp;help with planet detection in radial-velocity
data.</span></div></div></div></blockquote></div><br></div></div>_______________________________________________

Disclaimer
----------

Las opiniones vertidas en este correo son de responsabilidad exclusiva de
su remitente.

Listaiafe mailing list
[email-masked]
http://smtp.iafe.uba.ar/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/listaiafe

==================================================
Andrea Paola Buccino
URL (Home Page): http://cms.iafe.uba.ar/abuccino
e-mail: [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------
Instituto de Astronomía y Física del Espacio (IAFE)
Phone: (+54)-11-5285-7827
Fax: (+54)-11-4786-8114
CC 67 Suc. 28, 1428 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
---------------------------------------------------